Here at loverecording.com we are all big music fans and we have spent nearly all morning discussing which albums were are favourite this year. After counting nearly twenty between us, we thought choosing five albums would be an easier task. So this is how we have done it, from five to three is one each of our favourite albums and then the last two were our joint decision.
5) Joy of nothing – Foy Vance. (Mark) The Northern Irish musician (right in picture), released his first single in 2006 and has since seen his tracks appear on US TV shows including ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ and ‘Vampire Diaries’. He has also toured with Ed Sheeran in the UK and the US.
4) Blackbird – Fat Freddy’s Drop. (Giles) Fat Freddy’s Drop are a New Zealand seven-piece band from Wellington, whose musical style has been characterised as any combination of dub, reggae, soul,jazz, rhythm and blues, and techno.
3) Mechanical Bull – Kings of Leon. (Me) I know it’s an obvious choice, although, I was very worried about this coming out. Thinking it would be another label influenced pop album, filled with cheesy crowd pleasers like that song. You know which one I mean – I can’t bring myself to say it. But they have turned it around with this one. Good to see the brothers and cousins formed in Nashville back on their thang!
2) Settle – Disclosure. Two brothers from Surrey who have had one hell of a year, being nominated for a grammy and the mercury music award. Their debut album Settle has a lot of guest appearances from this years other big hitters – London Grammar, Sam Smith and Jessie Ware.
1) The 20/20 Experience – Justin Timberlake. Yep, he is our office number one album of the year. The king of cool from Memphis, Tennesse, his third album debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200 with first-week sales of 968,000 copies. Cool, sophisticated funk we have loved this album. Produced by Timabland of course, this is JT’s 2nd number one album.
So there you have it, that’s our official top 5 favourite albums of 2013 from loverecording.com. We’d love to know what you think to our list and love to hear your top five, so tweet us or comment below!